The Main SPLASH Survey (ATNF project code P817)SPLASH used Parkes's on-the-fly mapping mode to cover the Galactic Plane in a series of 2-by-2 degree tiles. Observations were completed in 2015. The survey region is shown in the figure below, overlaid on a 12CO(J=1-0) map from the NANTEN GPS survey.
Survey Technical Specs:
- Line frequencies: 1612.231, 1665.402, 1667.359, 1720.530 MHz.
- Beam FWHM: 13.0', 12.7', 12.7', 12.6'.
- IF centre frequencies: 1612, 1666, 1720 MHz.
- Bandwidth/frequency resolution: 8 MHz band with 8192 channels. Resolution (raw): 0.98 kHz = 0.18 km/s
- Mapping strategy: 2 x 2 degree OTF tiles, 10 repeats of each tile (5 each in orthogonal scan directions).
- Integration time: ~ 25 h in total per tile (including overheads). Total integration time per position ~ 12 min.
- Polarisation: linears, XX, YY, XY, YX.
- RMS sensitivity: ~ 20-25 mK (Tmb) per 0.7 km/s channel (~ 25-35 mJy).
- Final data products: Stokes I spectral line cubes, continuum images, maser source catalogue.
Followup Projects (ATNF project codes C2872, C2976)Accurate OH Maser Positions with the Compact Array:
Australia Telescope Compact Array (ATCA) observations of maser candidates identified in the main survey were completed in 2016. Observations of all 4 lines were carried out in full stokes, with a maximum baseline of 6km. Publications arising from this work can be found here
High-Resolution OH Absorption Measurements:
High-resolution (1.5km array) ATCA observations in HI and all four OH lines were carried out towards bright continuum point sources in the survey region were carried out in 2014. This data will form the basis of a Masters thesis.
16th August 2017.